Take your teaching skills and knowledge of yoga to the next level! The 300 hour part-time advanced teacher training course runs over a period of 6 months. The course is accredited by Yoga Alliance International (500 level).
1. A CPR course for those wanting to teach (R280.00 valid for 2 years)
2. Any fees payable to Yoga Alliance International and the Yoga Teacher’s Fellowships or any other accrediting body a student wishes to register with.
The 500 Hour designation refers to the total cumulative hours of both programs once study has been completed. The SYC 500 level certification is the recognized by Yoga Alliance International.
Please note the actual course is 300 Hours, of which 120 hours are performed through personal study and self-practice. Modules on the 500 level course include sessions on Yoga Philosophy, Anatomy and Yoga asana classes taught from various perspectives, such as Traditional Hatha Yoga, Yin Yoga and Transformational Yoga.
Curriculum & Schedule
• Advanced Hatha yoga asanas and pranayama (based on Hatha Yoga Pradipika)
• Learn the principles of different styles of Hatha Yoga: Vinyasa classes, Yin and Transformational yoga
• Teaching methods and incorporating various styles of yoga to suit your students’ needs
• Practical Training in Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
• Mantra practice for clearing the chakras and balancing the four bodies (physical, emotional, mental and psychic)
• Advanced cleansing techniques (these will mainly be done over the residential weekend) along with Antar Mouna (inner silence)
• Functional Anatomy (theory and applied), injury prevention and management
• Subtle anatomy (chakras and the 5 pranas)
• TIME Meditation techniques
• Yoga philosophy- Introduction to Vedanta (from the Upanishads)
• Yoga therapy based individual classes and yoga nidra
The 300-hour training also provides education in the following areas:
Advanced asanas and private instructional skills. Learn alignment principles for advanced elements of practice, as well as techniques for safely guiding students in and out of more advanced poses. Develop the skills and confidence to provide effective private yoga sessions.
Learn alignment principles for advanced elements of practice, as well as techniques for safely guiding students in and out of more advanced poses. Develop the skills and confidence to provide effective private yoga sessions.
Develop the skills and confidence to provide effective private yoga sessions.
Posture assisting and functional anatomy
Practice giving more advanced postural assistance and receiving feedback from peers and skilled facilitators. Learn functional anatomy principles with guest lecturers. Learn to have every student experience the anatomical benefits of a pose in a way that works for them through the use of props and safe, suitable adjustments.
Pranayama and meditation techniques
Delve deeply into the practice of classic pranayama and meditation techniques. Learn teaching tools to help your students access the power of meditation and prana flow.
Tools for crafting transformational classes and workshops Learn to teach from your most authentic self, using your own inner wisdom as the seed
for inspired teaching. Develop techniques for crafting transformational workshops and creating sacred classroom space.
The challenging nature of our training offers the opportunity for optimum growth and transformation. The objective of self-inquiry is to encourage awareness of how the tools and techniques of yoga can bring about inner transformation and personal growth. Yogic philosophy and modern-day applications of ancient texts Explore the wisdom of classic texts such as the Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita and inquire into the meaning of these texts in your daily life. Expand your yoga practice off the mat by cultivating an awareness of yoga philosophy for inspired living and teaching.
Advance Techniques of practicing Asana as per Ashtanga yoga (Based on Patanjali’s Yoga sutras), techniques to bring body and mind in harmony, advanced techniques include focusing on body parts, breath, chakras and the pranas
Pranayama - Different Types of Pranayama as Ashtanga Yoga and Hatha yoga traditions with Kumbhaka (holding of breath or retention) & Bandhas (energy locks)
Hatha Yoga Pranayama - Nadi Shodana & Kumbhaka
Transformational Pranayama- for the 5 Pranas
Mudras - 10 Types of Mudras (Psychic Gestures as explained in Hatha Yoga
Pradipikika (including Mahabandha, Uddiyana, Jalandhar, Moola, Viparita Karani and Khechari)
Kriyas / Cleansing techniques - (optional) (Shatkarmas from Hatha Yoga Pradipikika and Gherand Samhita)
- Neti (cleansing of nasal passage) - Jala neti (water), Sutra Neti (inserting sterilized rubber tube in nostrils and mouth)
- Vaman (with salty water), Shankar Prakshalana (Master Cleansing)
- Nouli (abdominal massage)
- Tratak (concentrated gazing involving candle flame)
- Kapalbhati (frontal lobe cleansing
(Note - These cleansing techniques are optional and subject to certain contra-indications!)
Meditation – Still and dynamic meditations for the 4 bodies, physical, prana, mental and psychic
Silence - Silence is observed during meals and on the residential weekend.
Karma Yoga – will be available for those wishing to teach at various non-profit organisations.
Pre-requisites for Teacher Training Applicants
Students applying for this 500 level course must provide a 200 or 300 level certificate from a school registered with Yoga Alliance International.
Applicants should have practiced yoga consistently for at least 3 years prior to the course
Applicants should have a regular teaching schedule for at least 2 years prior to the course
Must currently be at a good level of overall health and fitness.
For those wanting to become accredited 500 level yoga teachers, you will be assisted in registering with Yoga Alliance International, the head office is in Delhi, India. This course meets all the criteria for the international yoga standards and is fully accredited with Yoga Alliance International.
This YAI Accreditation is not a certification program, rather it is a listing of yoga schools and yoga teachers whose training and experience meets certain minimum international standards as described below. The accreditation listing differentiates three levels of training: a 200-hour level,
300 – hour and 500-hour level. The SYC programme is a Level 3 (500) level.
Minimum Yoga Teacher Standards
The Shakti Yoga Teaching Academy and Therapy Centre TTC standards are in accordance with Yoga Alliance International and the International Yoga Federation (IYF), and similar international yoga bodies.