500 level Mastery in Hatha Yoga Teacher Training
Duration: Six Months (13th June – till the 12th December 2020). Classes will be on Tuesdays 5:30 till 8:30pm and Saturdays 11am till 3pm.
The residential cleansing weekend in November (Fri 13th till Sun 15th) in Magaliesburg (Attendance is compulsory for all participants)
Investment: R19 500 includes the residential cleansing weekend, textbook, comprehensive manual, lectures, etc which can be paid off in monthly instalments over the 6 month period.
Longer terms (than 6 months) can be arranged if needed but will incur a small monthly administration fee.
* If you completed your 300 level Training with Shakti Yoga the cost is R17500.00
A non-refundable deposit of R5000.00 secures your placement on the course.
A contract will also be signed committing to making the payment in full, if the participant decides to leave the course for any reason after the commencement date.
The above fee includes:
- The 500-level comprehensive training manual
- TTC classes and guest lecturers (Vedanta, Ayurveda and Functional Anatomy)
- All the books you will need for the required reading
- The residential cleansing weekend in November (Fri 15th till Sun 17th) in Magaliesburg (Attendance is compulsory for all participants)
- A 500 level TTC certificate (accredited with Yoga Alliance International)
*Please note the Fee excludes the following:
- A CPR course for those wanting to teach / renew- cost is 350 for a 2-year certificate.
- Any fees payable to Yoga Alliance International and the Yoga Teacher’s Fellowships or any other accrediting body a student wishes to register with).
It will be expected of you to do self-study and to develop your own personal yoga practice. Estimated time required: Minimum 1 hour per day. This is necessary for you in order to be able to teach yoga from a point of personal experience and not merely from poses learnt in a book.
The 500 Level 2 course is a dynamic and exciting Yoga Teacher Training program run by members of Shakti Yoga Centre in Fourways. This programme is open to any past graduates of Shakti Yoga Therapy Centre or if you have completed a Yoga
Alliance International certified 200 Hour level 1 Yoga Teacher Training.
The 500 Hour designation refers to the total cumulative hours of both programs once study has been completed. The SYC 500 level certification is the recognised and accredited by Yoga Alliance International.
Please note the actual course is 350 Hours, of which 120 hours are performed through personal study and self-practice. Modules on the 500-level course include sessions on Yoga Philosophy, Anatomy and Yoga asana classes taught from various perspectives, such as Traditional Hatha Yoga, Yin Yoga and Transformational Yoga.
Curriculum & Schedule
- Advanced Hatha yoga asanas and pranayama (based on Hatha Yoga Pradipika)
- Learn the principles of different styles of Hatha Yoga: Vinyasa classes, Yin and Transformational yoga
- Teaching methods and incorporating various styles of yoga to suit your students’ needs
- Practical Training in Pranayama, Mudras, Bandhas and Cleansing Techniques
- Mantra practice for clearing the chakras and balancing the four bodies (physical, emotional, mental and psychic)
- Advanced cleansing techniques (practiced at the residential weekend)
- Functional Anatomy (theory and applied), injury prevention and management
- Subtle anatomy (chakras and prana bodies)
- TIME Meditation techniques
- Yoga philosophy- Introduction to Vedanta (from the Upanishads)
- Teaching private yoga classes (how do adapt a class to meet individual requirements)
- Designing your own yoga nidra for private classes
The 300-hour training also provides education in the following areas:
Advanced asanas and private instructional skills
Learn alignment principles for advanced elements of practice, as well as techniques for safely guiding students in and out of more advanced poses. Develop the skills and confidence to provide effective private yoga sessions.
Posture assisting and functional anatomy
Practice giving more advanced postural assistance and receiving feedback from peers and skilled facilitators. Learn functional anatomy principles with guest lecturers. Learn to have every student experience the anatomical benefits of a pose in a way that works for them through the use of props and safe, suitable adjustments.
Yogic philosophy and modern-day applications of ancient texts
Explore the wisdom of classic texts such as the Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita and inquire into the meaning of these texts in your daily life. Expand your yoga practice off the mat by cultivating an awareness of yoga philosophy for inspired living and teaching.
Pranayama and meditation techniques
Delve deeply into the practice of classic pranayama and meditation techniques. Learn teaching tools to help your students access the power of meditation and prana flow.
Tools for crafting transformational classes and workshops
Learn to teach from your most authentic self, using your own inner wisdom as the seed for inspired teaching. Develop techniques for crafting transformational workshops and creating sacred classroom space.
The challenging nature of our training offers the opportunity for optimum growth and transformation. The objective of self-inquiry is to encourage awareness of how the tools and techniques of yoga can bring about inner transformation and personal growth.
- Advance Techniques of practicing Asana as per Ashtanga yoga (Based on Patanjali’s Yoga sutras), techniques to bring body and mind in harmony, advance techniques include focusing on body parts, breath, chakras and the pranas
- Pranayama – Different Types of Pranayama as Ashtanga Yoga and Hatha yoga traditions with Kumbhaka (holding of breath or retention) & Bandhas (energy locks)
- Hatha Yoga Pranayama – Nadi Shodana & Kumbhaka
- Transformational Pranayama- for the 5 Pranas
- Mudras – 10 Types of Mudras (Psychic Gestures as explained in Hatha Yoga Pradipikika (including Mahabandha, Uddiyana, Jalandhar, Moola, Viparita Karani and Khechari)
- Kriyas / Cleansing techniques – (optional) (Shatkarmas from Hatha Yoga Pradipikika and Gherand Samhita)
- Neti (cleansing of nasal passage) – Jala neti (water), Sutra Neti (inserting sterilized rubber tube in nostrils and mouth)
- Vaman (with salty water), Shankar Prakshalana (Master Cleansing)
- Nouli (abdominal massage)
- Tratak (concentrated gazing involving candle flame tratak)
- Kapalbhati (frontal lobe cleansing)
(Note – These cleansing techniques are optional and subject to certain contra-indications)
- Meditation – Still and dynamic meditations for the 4 bodies, physical, prana, mental and psychic
- Silence – Silence is observed during meals and on the residential weekend.
Pre-requisites for Teacher Training Applicants
- Students applying for this 500-level course must provide a 200 or 300 level certificate from a recognised yoga school (ideally registered with Yoga Alliance International.)
- Applicants should have practiced yoga consistently for at least 3 years prior to the course
- Minimum of 1 year’s teaching experience
- Must currently be at a good level of overall health and fitness.
For those wanting to become accredited 500 level yoga teachers you will be assisted in registering with Yoga Alliance International, the head office is in Delhi, India. This course meets all the criteria for the international yoga standards and is fully accredited with Yoga Alliance International.
This YAI Accreditation is not a certification program, rather it is a listing of yoga schools and yoga teachers whose training and experience meets certain minimum international standards as described below. The accreditation listing differentiates three levels of training: a 200-hour level, 300 – hour and 500-hour level. The SYC programme is a Level 3 (500) level.
Minimum Yoga Teacher Standards
The Shakti Yoga Centre TTC standards are in accordance with Yoga Alliance International®, Yoga Alliance Africa® and the International Yoga Federation (IYF), and similar international yoga bodies.